Our pallettes (having been spoiled by the sea of deliciousness available at every turn in San Francisco) have been dying to begin our quest to find our new favorite eating establishments. We're certainly learning quickly, for better or worse, that we most certainly are not in San Francisco any more.
Bear with me while I dial it back a few months so that you can get the full scoop.
Robert's Frozen Custard
I think I gained a pound just thinking about the deliciousness that is Robert's. Seriously. SO. FREAKIN'. GOOD. Anyone who knows me knows that I LOVE Kopp's Frozen Custard in Greenfield - maily for their smooth and creamy, perfectly chocolatey chocolate frozen custard and awesome onion rings. Oh, and the butter burgers. Yes, butter. They add a pat of butter to the top of every burger patty to fatten it up even more. Good for you? No. Delecious? HECK YEAH!
But I digress. Two days into our life as Germantownians (Germans? Townies? Germantownites?) I stumbled out in a haze of beige latex paint fumes and hunger pangs to find this little piece of heaven just around the corner. **NOTE: "around the corner" = less than 5 minutes drive from home** Burgers? Check! Onion Rings? Check! Frozen custard? Check! Check! Check! Two bites in and Paul proclaimed the onion rings "the best I've had in my life". Yes, this is the same Paul who eschews using terms such as "always" or "never" or "ever" in describing things actually broke his own rule. They were THAT good. In our haste to devour the deliciousness I somehow remembered to snap a photo.


We've since returned to the scene of the greasy crime a handful of times and are happy to report that they are always on their game. The best part? They're cheap!! Gigantic, fully-loaded specialty burger = $3.99. Make it a double and it's $6.99. Best Onion Rings in the world = priceless (but really $2.29)...and they're such a large order you have to split them!
Recommended: The California Burger (American Cheese, mayo, lettuce, tomato, pickles, ketchup & mustard) & Onion Rings
Verdict: Two Plump Thumbs Up
Jerry's Old Town Inn
Also "just around the corner" on our quaint Main Street is Jerry's. If you're not afraid of various pig-shaped tchochkie I think you'll like this place as much as we do. The #1 thing we like about it? Their french onion soup. This was my turn to declare something "the best I've had in my life." For serious. The perfect level of salty meets sweet topped off with enough toasted cheese that you need a knife to break through it. Aha! now you see the draw...copious amounts of melted cheese.
Also "just around the corner" on our quaint Main Street is Jerry's. If you're not afraid of various pig-shaped tchochkie I think you'll like this place as much as we do. The #1 thing we like about it? Their french onion soup. This was my turn to declare something "the best I've had in my life." For serious. The perfect level of salty meets sweet topped off with enough toasted cheese that you need a knife to break through it. Aha! now you see the draw...copious amounts of melted cheese.
Jerry's is known for their ribs. They serve them with just about every dish, and they are quite tasty. I could take 'em or leave 'em, but that's mostly because I dislike foods that get my hands all sticky. I do, however, love the fun bib the waitress happily ties to you that declares "I heart ribs!" Fun.

We previously tested out their neighbor, Von Rothenburg Bier Stube, a few summers ago. The Bier Stube has a great outdoor Bier Garten and you can order food from Jerry's while you kick back a boot or two. Ha! Did you see what I just did? Kick back a boot! We managed to hit up the Bier Garten on a Friday during that visit and lucked into a fantastic fish fry. Maybe one of these Friday's we'll have to test it out indoors.

Recommended: French Onion Soup, Fish Fry, a boot at the Bier Stube
Verdict: One cheesy thumb up, the other in my boot and undecided.
Verdict: One cheesy thumb up, the other in my boot and undecided.
Tulips
This little Turkish restaurant is in my favorite part of Milwaukee, the Historic Third Ward. We tried this place out with Mom and Dad after the gallery opening and it was pretty good. Am I raving about it? No. Would I try it again? Sure, why not. Also gets points for having a fun drink menu, but i stuck to my Extra Dirty.
Recommended: Ottoman Grilled Platter - Karisik Izgara (combination of chicken and lamb kebabs, spicy meatball skewer, grilled meat patties and lamb chops) Just spicy enough for Paul that he asked for a side of cucumber sauce for dipping.
Verdict: One kebabed thumb up.
Verdict: One kebabed thumb up.
LaChiminea
I have to preface this review with the fact that we were looking for our nearest Mexican food fix. Just past the grocery store I kept seeing a place called "Casa Grande" so we drove on over with our bellies all a twitter with the promise of burritos. FAIL. Apparently Casa Grande is a hair and nail salon. Really? Go figure.
I have to preface this review with the fact that we were looking for our nearest Mexican food fix. Just past the grocery store I kept seeing a place called "Casa Grande" so we drove on over with our bellies all a twitter with the promise of burritos. FAIL. Apparently Casa Grande is a hair and nail salon. Really? Go figure.
Not to worry, we just headed down the road and tried out a place our neighbors had mentioned, La Chiminea. Sit-down Mexican wasn't what we were looking for, but the stomach wants what it wants. While it didn't live up to Tia Margarita standards (can you hear my stomach growling right now?) it was actually surprisingly good. They had a pretty extensive menu and the food was pretty authentic. The chips were nice, hot and fresh and the salsa was pretty tasty. Just the right level of hotness for my boca (that's mouth for those of you who don't speaka de Spanish). I tried the flautas and would rate them a 6 out of 10. I can never remember if I prefer the chicken or beef ones so I always order one of each and end up half-disappointed. Paul tried their tacos El Pastor (his favorite meat option at El Faro) and was suprised to find that their version includes pineapple.
Julia devoured their refried beans, rice and guacamole with gusto, so I guess we'll give those a thumbs up for her.
Recommended: trying something else on the menu
Verdict: undecided, we'll have to try it again
1 comment:
any sushi options in germantown? is that too much to hope for?
Post a Comment